Visitor Policy

No Subletting

Subletting, for any reason (friend, colleague, student, family member, Airbnb, VRBO etc), is not permitted under any circumstances.

Faculty Guests

A guest is a non-member who is visiting with a tenant for a brief period of time, only. Guests are required to follow the same policies and rules of conduct as tenants. They cannot pay or contribute to the monthly housing charge, cannot sublet from the member tenant or make use of our reserved parking.

For more information on our polices concerning long-term guests, please refer to our By-Law #2, Article 7 “Occupancy by Members”, section 7.4 “Long Term Guests”.

Requests for an Extended Stay

Proposed extended stays by guests and for any reason, must be pre-approved by the Co-op’s General Manager. Enquiries can be directed to the Faculty Housing office at (416) 946-5671 or

Student Family Guests

Policy On Visitors vs. Unauthorized Occupants

Please note that this is a University of Toronto residence intended for students with a spouse and/or children. This means that one of the people residing in each unit must be a registered full-time student or postdoctoral fellow at the University of Toronto. Only the people listed on the first page of the lease are legal residents.

The Residential Tenancies Act does not apply to the University residences in a number of ways. Having the authority to maintain the apartments for the student families on the lease is one of the ways in which we are different than a private apartment building off-campus.

  • We do permit families to have visitors. Friends or family visiting  up to one month is permissible.
  • We do not permit tenants to share their apartment with friends or family members (e.g., while they look for work or alternative housing) or rent out their apartment to people not listed on the lease. This is not permitted, regardless of whether money is paid for the housing arrangement or not.

Visitor Requests

For residents who will be having a visitor for longer than two consecutive days, in advance of your visitor’s arrival, you must complete a Visitor Registration/Request form in the Residence Office. Also, you will need to purchase a key fob for your visitor(s) for the period outlined in your request.