Transfers & Moving Out

New Faculty

If you leave before July 31, you are to provide 90 days’ notice or payment in lieu.

Please confirm the date and approximate time of your departure with the Faculty Housing Office. You can also arrange a time to return your keys.

Please ensure that any telephone, Internet, and cable television services you ordered are transferred to your new address. Please advise Canada Post and the University of Toronto of your address change as we cannot be responsible for your mail after you leave.

Before vacating your apartment, please be sure to lock all doors and windows and remove your belongings, including
food items in the refrigerator and cupboards. The Property Manager will arrange to have the apartment thoroughly cleaned; however, if you have time to sweep up, vacuum, wipe out cupboards, and perform any other cleaning prior to your departure; it would be greatly appreciated by our cleaning staff. If you are aware of any maintenance or repair needed in your apartment, please bring it to the attention of the Property Manager so that it can be addressed prior to the next faculty member taking occupancy.

Student Family Housing

Please note that all Student Family Housing residents at 30/35 Charles Street West and in the Huron-Sussex units are required to submit 60 days Notice to Vacate by the last day of any month.

Example: If you would like to vacate May 31st, your Notice to Vacate (signed by all lease holders) must be submitted to the Residence Office by March 31st.

We are unable to accept Notices to Vacate after the deadline, so you are legally and financially obligated to pay rent to cover the full time period following submitting notice. For example, if you submit your notice to vacate on June 2, 2020, it has to be for a move out date of August 31, 2020 because it was submitted after May 31.

The Notice to Vacate forms are available online and at the Residence Office at 35 Charles Street West.

If you are no longer a student, and your partner does not meet the eligibility criteria, you must vacate your apartment and follow the procedure outlined above. The Student Family Housing service verifies the student status of residents regularly. 


Transfer requests from one unit to another in Huron-Sussex will not be considered for Faculty Housing or Student Family Housing members. 

Student Family Housing members that are living in Huron-Sussex can apply to transfer to the Charles Street community, To apply for a transfer to Charles Street, see our page, Apartment Transfers within Charles Street West.