Charles Street West
If your family is growing, apartment transfers to a larger apartment are possible if you have lived at 30 or 35 Charles for at least one year.
at a glance
Those who have lived at Charles Street for at least 12 months and have a growing family.
We require documentation to verify eligibility.
This could include birth certificates or proof of adoption.
Applying for an apartment transfer is done through StarRez. The primary tenant will need to login with their UTORID.
After your application is submitted your eligibility will be determined and will go through a screening process.
Wait times are 1.5 years. You will be offered an apartment a maximum of two times before being removed from the waitlist.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible to apply for an apartment transfer if all of the following apply to your family:
- Lived in your current apartment for at least 12 months before applying to transfer.
- Given birth or adopted a baby, or are pregnant after moving in.
- Maintained your apartment in good condition, requesting repairs and pest control as needed.
- Paid your rent by the 1st day of each month and not caused disruption to the peace and quiet enjoyment of the community.
We do not allow apartment transfers for:
- Noise disturbances. We understand that high rise apartment living is not for everyone, and the Housing (Residence) Life Coordinator can refer you to the Housing Office, who can support you in finding something that is more suitable for you. More information on noise complaints
- Large families who have lived in Charles Street for less than 12 months. When choosing a room preference to live at Charles Street, please consider the amount of space that your family will need.
In order to ensure eligible residents are considered for larger units, we require documentation, including the following:
- Child’s Birth Certificate
- Doctor’s note of baby’s due date or proof of pregnancy
- Date of expected adoption
- Leave of Absence Form for parental leave
How do I apply?
Applying for an apartment transfer is done through StarRez. The primary tenant will need to login with their UTORID to access the transfer application.
Unfortunately, secondary tenants (partner/spouse) are not be able to fill out the transfer application since it is linked to the primary leaseholder’s UTOR email address.
For detailed instructions on how to apply on StarRez, click the button below
What happens after I submit my application?
- Once you have submitted your application, the Admissions Office will screen your application. This process will take up to 7-10 business days to confirm your eligibility.
- If you are eligible, you will receive an email from the Admission Office confirming that your application has been approved. You will be able to view your waitlist position number in real time at any moment through Star Portal on your transfer application.
- If you are not eligible, you will get and email from the Admission Office letting you know that you did not meet the eligibility requirements for an apartment transfer.
- After you apply, we will examine your tenancy at UFH, such as ensuring your rental payments have been received on time.
- When you’re close to the top of the waitlist, you’ll be contacted for an inspection of your unit. If you did not treat your current apartment well, you will not be offered a transfer, so keep your apartment clean and in good repair, ask for maintenance and pest control as soon as you need it.
Cancelling Your Application
- If you no longer wish to transfer apartments, please visit your transfer application on the Star Portal and choose “Cancel My Application” to cancel your application and to remove yourself from the waitlist
- If you have cancelled your transfer application and want to apply again, please email the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to let them know that you would like to re-start your transfer application.
How long does it take?
- Standard wait times are around 1.5 years, but it can vary based on what kind of transfer you are looking for (sometimes large one bedrooms are highly requested, sometimes two bedrooms), the timing (summers are already booked up with moves, so transfers do not happen August or September), and how many units are opening up at a time.
What happens after I’ve been offered an apartment?
- You’ll get to see the unit that has opened up for you. If you don’t like it, you will be put back on the waiting list.
- You will be offered a maximum of two units. If neither suit you, you will be removed from the list, so make sure if you have specific needs, they are communicated to the Admissions Office as early as possible
To apply to transfer apartments, click the button below and fill out the Transfer Application Form on StarRez. Should you have any questions, please contact the Admissions Office at email@example.com.