Charles Street

Moving Out

Student Family Housing

Please note that all Student Family Housing residents at 30 and 35 Charles Street West and in the Huron-Sussex units are required to submit 60 days Notice to Vacate by the last day of any month.

Example: If you would like to vacate May 31st, your Notice to Vacate (signed by all lease holders) must be submitted to the Residence Office by March 31st.

submitting notice to vacate policy

We are unable to accept Notices to Vacate after the deadline.  You are legally and financially obligated to pay rent to cover the full time period following submitting notice. For example, if you submit your notice to vacate on June 2, 2020, it has to be for a move out date of August 31, 2020 because it was submitted after May 31.

Please refer to the below chart to determine when you need to submit your notice to vacate by.

Dates to Submit a Notice to Vacate By

Day You Intend to Move OutDay Notice to Vacate Needs to Be Submitted
January 31, 2024November 30, 2023
February 29, 2024December 31, 2023
March 31, 2024January 31, 2024
April 30, 2024February 29, 2024
May 31, 2024March 31, 2024
June 30, 2024April 30, 2024
July 31, 2024May 31, 2024
August 31, 2024June 30, 2024
September 30, 2024July 31, 2024
October 31, 2024August 31, 2024
November 30, 2024September 30, 2024
December 31, 2024October 31, 2024

The Notice to Vacate forms are available online and at the Residence Office at 35 Charles Street West.

If you are no longer a student, and your partner does not meet the eligibility criteria, you must vacate your apartment and follow the procedure outlined above. University Family Housing verifies the student status of residents regularly.

Move-Out Inspections

Prior to your move out, the Residence Office will conduct an inspection of the unit. Residents are encouraged to be present during the inspection. A copy of the move-out inspection report will be given to you. In the case of damage or neglect, the residents will have an opportunity to rectify the situation otherwise a fee will be applied to the primary tenant’s student account. If the resident fails to pay said fine, the University has the option to place a hold on the account, which can impact  graduation requests or the ability to re-register.


A move-out inspection will be carried out prior to the date you vacate your apartment, and again after you move out. According to the terms of the lease, your apartment must be left in “clean and good condition”:

  • Floors should be swept and mopped;
  • The kitchen should be cleaned to remove grease and food from cabinets, shelves, counters, sink, and faucets;
  • Garbage must be disposed of properly — drop bags down the garbage chutes or bring large items down to the  bins located on the ground floor of each building. Do not leave anything in the hallways, common areas, or  garbage chute room;
  • Refrigerator needs to be cleaned inside and out. The freezer must be defrosted to remove ice buildup. Do not use any objects to break or pry off the ice. If the freezer unit of your refrigerator is damaged by puncturing the unit with a sharp object while defrosting, you will be charged for repairs;
  • Stove / Oven – outside and inside must be clean and free of grease; use a stove and oven cleaner;
  • Bathroom walls, toilet (inside and out), sink, fan, and floor must be clean.


Moving out of Charles Street and onto your next adventure? 🚚 Here’s everything you need to do to ensure smooth-sailing on your move-out day! 

📦 Submit 60 days Notice to Vacate by the last day of any month
📦 Prep for your unit inspection
📦 Forward your mailing address
📦 Return your keys
📦 Book the service elevator
📦 Withdraw from the daycare or school your children are enrolled in (if necessary)
📦 Stay in touch with UFH!💙

For more info on moving out of Charles Street, visit our website or contact the Residence Office.

#LiveWithUFH #UniversityFamilyHousing #universityoftoronto #movingout #CSWMoveOut

Returning Keys

Please return the following the the Residence Office during office hours:

  • Unit keys
  • Building FOB key
  • Laundry card

These items can be dropped off in the slot outside the Residence Office in an envelope with your unit number written on it or in person at the desk.

Forwarding Address for Mail

When you give your notice to move out of the building, please provide the Residence Office with your new address and notify Canada Post so they can forward mail to your new address.


Information on moving truck rentals and movers can be found on the Housing Services website or by emailing

Vacating Day Care and School

If you currently have children in day care and enrolled in school, inform the staff at these institutions that you will be moving when you submit your notice to vacate. You are required to unenroll your children and relocate them to an alternate childcare centre upon vacating University Family Housing. Contact the Family Care Office for information about alternative on and off-campus childcare options.