Requesting an Early Move in Date
Should you require a move in date prior to the first of the month, please send an email to Residence Office and provide us with your name, the building and unit you have accepted, and the desired move in date.
Your request will be reviewed and then you will be advised if it is approved. The cost for an early move in before the first of the month is prorated at the daily rate based on the size of the unit, the type of unit, and the month. The additional rent will be calculated by the Residence Office and it is payable by debit card, money order, or cheque to the University of Toronto before the move in date.
If you have any questions about early move ins, please contact us.
No Storage of Moving Crates or Other Packages
Make sure you and/or movers arrive with your moving truck, ready to unload your belongings. We cannot accept and store moving crates or other packages/objects.
Book Your Elevator
The elevator schedule is limited, so call the Residence Office as soon as possible to improve your chances of getting the elevator when you want it. This is crucial to being able to move in on the desired date since the elevators are in high demand. If you don’t book an elevator, you cannot move!
- Call or email the Residence Office at 416-978-8304 or email@example.com.
- 2-hour limit: The Residence office will only book the elevator for two hours per apartment, due to the large number of residents moving in and out each month.
- Hours Elevators are available: between 10:00 am to 10:00 pm.
- Please be on time: The elevators are booked back-to-back all day long. Please try to make your moving process as rapid as possible. If someone has the elevator booked after you and you are an hour late, you will only have one hour to use the elevator!
- Placing the elevator “on service”: When the time that you have booked the elevator has arrived, please go to the Security booth to have the elevator put “on service”. This means that an elevator will be for your use only during the two hours that you have reserved it. If you are moving in after 5 pm or on a weekend, please contact maintenance or Security to put the elevator on service.
What to Expect When You Arrive
Picking Up Your Keys
On your move-in day, first pick up your keys from the Residence Office located on the first floor of 35 Charles.
To access 35 Charles, you can park on St Mary Street, which is pay by the hour parking, or in the driveway next to the dumpsters if there is availability. If you park here, make sure to check with the Residence Office to ensure you are not blocking the dumpsters or anyone who needs access. You may be asked to move, so having someone stay in the vehicle is always recommended.
If you’re arriving after business hours, you can pick up your keys from the security booth at 35 Charles. Additionally, there is no key pickup before 10am, even on weekends.
Moving into 35 Charles Street West
Once you’ve collected your keys, if you are moving into 35 Charles, security will give you instructions on where to park on the loading ramp located further up the driveway. This leads to the moving room and service elevator where you can begin to unload your belongings.
Moving into 30 Charles street West
If you are moving into 30 Charles, parking is a little more complicated. Unfortunately, there is no loading ramp or separate moving room for the building. You move your belongings in through the front entrance and lobby into the service elevator
Please do not park in the small driveway in front of 30 Charles as this is exclusively reserved for contractors who come and go frequently.
Because of our location in downtown Toronto, there is limited street parking available near the buildings.
- If you are moving in after 6pm, you can park on the North side of Charles Street West, closest to Yonge Street.
- There are also several pay for parking lots near 30 Charles including at the Manulife Centre next door and the below ground lot at 30 Charles Street West (730 Yonge Street) that is managed by Transportation Services at UofT. Please note that the lot at 30 Charles (730 Yonge) is not connected to our residence by elevator or stairs.
We know that moving to an apartment in downtown Toronto can be intimidating, especially if you’re not from a big city! Feel free to reach out to our Residence Office with any questions you may have!
Please Note: The University of Toronto will not pay any parking tickets incurred during your move-in/out.