Huron-Sussex Quarterly Newsletter
Maintenance and Operations Updates
Housing Drainage Issues
We have in recent weeks experienced an increase in house drainage blockages. We kindly ask that residents refrain from flushing items as listed below down the toilet, as these can create blockages and cause flooding:
- Food & coffee grinds
- Paper towels
- Disinfecting wipes of any size
- Feminine hygiene products of any kind
- Baby wipes
- Plastic bags
Proper Disposal of Cardboard Boxes
When receiving boxed items delivered to your door, kindly be sure to break down, flatten and fold the emptied boxes before placing them with the recycling containers. They take up far less space that way and are easier to stack and keep tidy until collection day.
Ice and Snow
Should any residents happen to notice excessive build ups of ice or snow, including large icicles, please bring it to the attention of our property management staff. We are closely monitoring the status of snow and ice in the neighbourhood, but greatly appreciate any observations from residents to keep our community safe during the winter months.
Safety and Security
As safe as our downtown neighbourhood is, we do ask that you remain vigilant concerning your personal safety and the security of your personal belongings. If you are planning on being away from your apartment for an extended period of time, please let UFH staff know. For additional information and tips on staying safe, please visit our website here.
This is a friendly reminder to be mindful that noise can travel easily between units if you live in a duplex or triplex. In an effort to be considerate to neighbours, here are some suggestions to help reduce noise:
- Remove shoes
- Apply felt pads to the feet of your furniture
- Refrain from prolonged use of loud appliances, entertainment units, or undertaking housekeeping chores late at night
- Practice gentle use of doors
- Avoid running and excessive horseplay
Refraining from Feeding Wildlife
In order to keep our neighbourhood a clean and safe place to live for residents and the local wildlife we ask that residents refrain from feeding animals in the area. Please:
- Correctly dispose of your garbage in our bins.
- Do not leave food outside your unit for animals to find (bird seed, peanuts, suet, bread etc.)
- If you notice any animals attempting to make a home somewhere in, or on, your house (e.g., gnawing their way into a wall or front porch), please alert our Property Management Staff.
Keeping Vestibules Clear
Other than a temporary package delivery, it is imperative that residents keep the common vestibules of their houses (front entrance) clear of personal items such as shoes, strollers, bicycles, clothing, toys, etc. Leaving items in the vestibules creates tripping hazards, blocks the entrance in the event of an emergency, and can even become a fire hazard if items are left on or near the radiators. For information on additional storage, please contact our Property Management staff.